Significance Of Sri Sai Satcharita
The following quotes by Baba stress the importance of Satcharita reading to spiritual development.
- “Hearing my stories and teachings will create faith in devotees’ hearts and they will easily get self – realization and Bliss; let there be no insistence on establishing one’s own view, no attempt to refute other’s opinions, no discussions of pros and cons of any subject”.
- “If my leelas are attentively, and devoutly listened to, the consciousness of the worldly existence will abate, and strong waves of devotion, and love will rise up and if one dives deep into My Leelas, he would get precious jewels of knowledge.”
By conducting an akhand parayan (continuous reading), Sai Bhagvan will be pleased and will give pasayadaan (reward) to His devotees, destroy the fear of worldly life and reveal the secret treasure of moksha.
We encourage devotees to incorporate Satcharita reading as daily habit. Reading one page per day, even in random order will provide appropriate guidance. Such is Baba’s ability to deliver advise, moral support and comfort depending on the needs of His devotee.
It is aptly said in Baba’ s aartis composed by Sri Madhavrao Vamanrao Adkar –
- “jaya mani jaisa bhava, taya taisa anubhava davisi dayaghana aisi tuzi hi maav aarti Sai Baba“
(You grant suitable experiences to everybody in accordance with their Faith and devotion. O, merciful one, such is your way.O kind one. We do Aarti to you Sai Baba.
Methodology of Akhand Parayan as described in the Satcharita
- Make your heart pure and start the parayan with faith and devotion, completing the reading in one, two or three days which will please Sai Narayan.
- Or, start the saptah and you will acquire wealth of accumulated merit, Sai will fulfill your heart’s fond desire and the dear of worldly life will be destroyed.
- Begin reading on a Thursday. After taking a bath at dawn, sit on your seat after quickly finishing your daily rituals like sandhya, puja, etc.
- Have a large, beautiful mandap covered with banana leaves, clothe, etc. to decorate it.
- Place a small table (chowrang) in it and draw around it a colourful variety of designs, with coloured powders (rangoli) that will please the eye.
- Place an idol or picture of Sai Sadguru on the table and bow to him in a loving obeisance.
- Wrapping the Satcharita in a silk cloth and placing it in front of the Sadguru, offer puja to both, using the five puja articles and then begin reading the book.
- For the next eight days, strictly observe the prescribed rules of conduct, taking only milk, fruit or roasted grain or eating nothing during the day except once, either at night or sometime in the day.
- Facing east, and remembering Sadguru’s form in the mind, continue reading the happily and with a peaceful mind.
- Eight, eight, seven, eight, six, eight and seven, with such a division of chapters, in that order, read for seven days, leaving only the epitome for the eight day.
- The key thing is to concentrate on the significance of leelas and assimilating Baba’s principles.
- On the eight day, after completing the vow, offer naivaidya to Sai Narayan and then serve meal to the Brahmins, relatives and friends, giving appropriate dakshina to the Brahmins.
- Inviting the vaidic Brahmins at night, get the vedas recited loudly by them, satisfying them by offering sweetened milk to drink.
- In the end, making obeisance to the Sadguru’s feet, proper Guru dakshina should be offered which can be sent to the Shirdi Sai Baba temple of your choice.
Ref: Sri Sai Satcharita by Govind Dabholkar. Translated by Indira Kher. Reprint 2002.